Wednesday, November 9, 2011

PK's Turkey Chili

With snow in the forecast we figured it was time to break out the hubby's chili recipe. I didn't think I liked chili - I would never order it by choice or eat it at someone else's house but I figured if I helped make it and knew exactly what was in it I might get on board. And low and behold it was delicious! 


Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips and corn bread! I had to use the old staple - Jiffy corn bread mix. Cook according to directions, then spread butter over the top of the corn bread and let cool. Yum! In all honestly, I think I really just liked the chili as a vehicle for toppings and sides : )

Turkey Chili 
Serves Four:

1 lb. ground turkey
1 garlic 
1 sweet onion 
1 red bell pepper
1 box of sliced mushrooms
1 tbsp chili powder
1 can whole tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 can tomato paste
1 bag frozen corn 
1 can black beans 

Brown 1 lb. ground turkey, drain and set aside.
In a large heated pot, add olive oil, salt, pepper and lots of garlic (we used 1/2 a garlic). Saute a couple of minutes.
Add 1 slice of jalapeno pepper (we used chopped jalapenos), 1 chopped sweet onion (we used 1/2), 1 chopped red bell pepper and a small box of sliced mushrooms. Saute over medium heat for five minutes or until soft.
Add 1 tbsp chili powder, and cook another five minutes over medium heat.
Add turkey, 1 can of whole tomatoes with water, one small can of tomato sauce, and (one small can of tomato paste…optional.) and cook for a few minutes over medium heat.
Add a bag of frozen corn and 1 can of black beans (drained) and a handful of chopped parsley, then add salt and pepper to taste.
Simmer for 20 minutes
If you like it soupy add one cup or more of chicken broth.
If you like it hot add more jalapeno or hot sauce.


Enjoy! I got too excited about eating it so this was the only picture I got...


No comments:

Post a Comment